Archaeological investigations took place at Farringdon station as part of the construction of the eastern ticket hall, and at Charterhouse Square, where a grout shaft was dug to help underpin surrounding buildings during construction work.
Medieval and post-medieval Charterhouse
A large ditch was excavated to the south of Charterhouse Square. It may be the remains of the Faggeswell Brook which flowed into the Fleet river to the west.
The ditch formed the southern boundary to both the cemetery and the London Charterhouse monastery, which was founded in 1371. Charterhouse monastery was suppressed in 1538 and its buildings were either demolished or adapted to other uses. In 1611 some were converted into the Charterhouse school, which continues to this day in Surrey.