From 1635 to 1740 the Clitherow family managed the New Churchyard. This meant that they benefitted from any charges for grave digging or for burial vaults.
They also held other jobs. In 1707 Benjamin Clitherow converted the ground floor of the family home into a shop. This was one of a number of local shops that made and sold wood, bone and ivory turned items, such as needle cases and handles.
The foundations of this shop and other buildings were found by archaeologists, along with large quantities of bone- and ivory-working waste. This shows that they were dumping the waste in the burial ground, adjacent to their shop. The quantity of waste, and the presence of glass-working waste, suggests they may have been offering a waste disposal service to other workshops.
In 1823 Liverpool Street was created over the southern part of the burial ground and in 1863-5 most of the northern part was developed as part of Broad Street station.